Thursday, January 25, 2007

Missing skills

13 Things I Wish I Learned In College
from Nextpath


1. Getting to the Point – Most of the term papers I did in college were long and had minimal requirements. The last thing my boss wants to read is a 10 page report that could have been one paragraph long. Professors need to teach students to get to the point and not push for lengthy essays.


2. Making Proper Presentations – I have made a lot of presentations in college, but the professors did not show me how to successfully communicate my ideas. Having cheesy designed slides may have worked well in college, but in the corporate world simple, effective designs are preferred. Now I have learned that slides with less text and larger font sizes are much more effective then slides with lots of text and small font sizes.


3. Working on a Team – Most of my college career was made up of reading, studying, test taking and paper writing. Most of which I did alone. I was graded on how well I performed, not on how well I performed on a team. But now, my boss wants to see how well I can cooperate with my co-workers, how well, WE can complete projects. So, being diplomatic and being open minded to team-member’s ideas has become second-practice. It’s important to understand that every member of a team brings their own skill set and perspective to a project.


4. Writing a Resume – It seems like one of the biggest college and post college misnomers concerns “writing a resume.” College seminars that help students prepare for the great “job hunt,” should teach students how to create a basic resume template and then custom tailor it to fit specific job requirements. I’ve found that resumes that address the specific skills associated with job or company work best. Research the company you are interested in working for. Try to find how your interests, skills or knowledge directly applies to that company and that position. Then sell it on one page. There is no reason you can’t have more that one resume.


5. Interviewing – I spent some ample time in college talking to my professors in an attempt to highlight my value in class, but dropping knowledge to a professor in order to increase my grade and proving that I am the best candidate for a job are two very different things. First off, be prepared to be judged, by how you are dressed, how well you answer questions and in “stress interviews” where there are multiple people interviewing you at once, on how well you keep your cool. Again, research the company before you go on your interview, go ahead and Google the name of the person who is interviewing you, find out as much as you can before you step into that room. I’ve also found it helpful to take about an hour the day before the interview and imagine what questions you might be asked and how you would respond to them. This gets your brain working in the right direction.


6. Networking – Social life in college seemed to revolve around partying. I looked for opportunities to meet new people but not necessarily people who had like interests and career goals. Now I understand that friendship is the first step to networking. Having a base of friends with similar interests doesn’t only lead to interesting conversion it can lead to job opportunities. Building a social network online, through alumni groups or industry associations can lead to career growth. Not to mention, being friendly and social is a great way to communicate with your co-workers and has been directly correlated reaching the coveted “Top Executive” position.


7. Accountability – If I did not feel like getting out of bed to go to class, I just skipped. I didn’t need to inform anyone why I didn’t attend. In my job, if I were to feel sick and not show up, I would be out of a job quickly. Also, it is important to communicate with supervisor regarding the status of assigned projects. Since others depend upon me, I can no longer do everything last minute like at college.


8. Money Management – In school my parents footed the bill, so I never really worried about saving money, balancing my checkbook or overextending my credit card. If I got in a pinch, I always had a back up plan—calling home. Since I am now on my own, everyday expenses like eating lunches out add up. I have found that budgeting and saving is critical, and investing wisely is crucial to my financial future.


9. Taking the Initiative – I remember doing only what I needed to do to get by when I was in college. It was easy doing only what my professors required of me, and often, most students never learned to think for themselves. My boss now expects me to come up with ideas and unique solutions to problems, not just “meeting the minimum standard.”


10. Strategic Planning – Though I learned study skills in college, I never had a clear plan or strategy for what I was doing or where I was going, other than completing my courses. In the business world, every outcome is measured, every result analyzed. I have learned to formulate strategic plans to accomplish my objectives so that I am more focused and productive.


11. Dressing for Success – Rolling out of bed and slipping into something comfortable doesn’t really cut it in the world of work. As the saying goes, “Look the Part.” As an emerging MBA graduate, it’s important for me to look professional, to wear a shirt and tie, shoes that aren’t sneakers. Most companies have a dress-code, and a lot have casual Fridays, make the most of these guidelines, but try to go above and beyond and if you are into fashion, there is no reason you can’t accessorize.


12. Negotiating a Raise – In the real world, my salary is tied to my productivity. If my efforts are continually generating revenues or tangible benefits for the company I work for, my boss should reward my efforts accordingly. In all the college business classes I took, the subject was never breached. This knowledge would have saved me a lot of embarrassment. Also, it would have resulted in a healthier raise and higher perceived value to the company I work for.


13. Writing a Letter of Resignation – Almost every year in college I had a part-time job. If I did not like it, I just quit and moved on. In the real world if I were to do that, my resume and references would be ruined. A resignation letter is not an excuse to criticize a company, no matter how bad it is. Instead, one that is professionally done can preserve a good reference, or open doors for new prospects.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.